Thursday, March 16, 2017

Deuteronomy 24:17-18 by Michelle Bouse

"Do not deprive the foreigner or the fatherless of justice, or take the cloak of the widow as a pledge. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the Lord your God redeemed you from there. That is why I command you to do this."
 __________________________________________________

In all situations and often in reading scripture, my questions always lead me back to the Lord's answer, "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." (John 15:12)
 
A friend of mine suddenly became a widow when her husband collapsed from a brain aneurysm. Unfortunately, the damage was irreversible and he died within two days. Knowing my friend's heart was broken, mine broke as well. I tried to stay up to date with all that was happening while feeling so helpless to help her. I prayed fervently

The day of the funeral, I saw her walk with such strength and grace I was reminded, that even in the midst of horrible tragedies, the Lord never leaves us. I truly believe he does carry us, especially in the darkest of times.
 
I wanted to reach out, to tell her something to comfort her.. (so I sent cookies wrapped in love & prayer).  I still pray for her and her two daughters day & night. I continue to search scripture for the right words.. and I always came back to this, "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." 
 
Remember, we are all strangers & foreigners in this land. This is not our home & we can't navigate it alone.  Look up, lean in & lean over to a friend, neighbor or stranger.. and
"Love each other as I have loved you." 

 (my comfort & reminder: bible journaling with paint, stickers & stamps)

No comments:

Post a Comment